- Rajan was awarded the Director's Gold Medal as the all-round student while studying electrical engineering at IIT, Delhi.
- He won a gold medal at IIM, Ahmedabad from where he received a post-graduate diploma in management.
- After IIM-A, he joined Tata Administrative Services (TAS) as a management trainee after IIT but didn't stay there for too long.
- He left TAS to join the doctoral programme in management at the MIT Sloan School of Management.
- In 2005, in a paper, Rajan predicted the 2008 global economic meltdown, something that later came true.
- His brother Mukund Rajan is the Brand Custodian and Member-Group Executive Council at Tata Sons.
- His wife Radhika Puri, whom he met at IIM-Ahmedabad also teaches at University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- His father, R. Govindarajan was an Indian Police Service officer who served both in the Intelligence Bureau and the Research and Analysis Wing, India's external intelligence agency.
Like this report? Sign up for our daily newsletter to get our top reports.