| Log in

Merck Arm Buys Sanmar Group Firm

13 October, 2009

Merck Specialities, a subsidiary of German pharma major Merck KGaA, has acquired bioscience firm Bangalore Genei India Pvt Ltd, a division of the Sanmar Group, for an undisclosed sum. 

Bangalore Genei makes molecular biological reagents for analytical and genetic engineering research applications. It has over 100 employees working on products for proteomic and genomic research out of its Bangalore centre. The company posted revenue of Rs 20.2 crore in 2008-09. 

Christina Shasserre, Global Head of Merck’s bioscience business, said, in a statement, “we will leverage Bangalore Genei’s product portfolio comprising a wide range of bioscience products, which are tailored to the needs of the domestic market in India.” 

Merck is a global pharmaceutical and chemical company with total revenues of $11.20 billion in 2008. The Merck family holds around 70% stake in the company while the remaining 30% is with shareholders. 

The divestment of Bangalore Genei comes four months after the Chennai-based Sanmar Group—with interests in shipping, specialty chemicals and metals—sold off Intec Polymers to Dorf Ketal for an undisclosed sum. In 2008, the group divested its interest in Asco India and Vishay Sanmar.

 


Leave Your Comment
Merck to buy life sciences services major Sigma-Aldrich for $17B

Merck to buy life sciences services major Sigma-Aldrich for $17B

Jasleen Kaur Batra 3 years ago
Pharma giant Merck is acquiring NASDAQ-listed life sciences services firm Sigma...
Vishal Bali co-founded Medwell raises $10M from Fidelity Growth, Fidelity Biosciences

Vishal Bali co-founded Medwell raises $10M from Fidelity Growth, Fidelity Biosciences

Manu P Toms 2 years ago
Bangalore-based specialty home healthcare services company Medwell Ventures Pvt...
News Roundup: Baring May Invest Rs 350Cr In Century Real Estate

News Roundup: Baring May Invest Rs 350Cr In Century Real Estate

TEAM VCC 7 years ago
Baring May Invest Rs 350Cr In Century Real Estate – Baring Private Equity...
No Comments

Merck Arm Buys Sanmar Group Firm

Powered by WordPress.com VIP