Photo Credit: Thinkstock

Japan’s Dai-ichi eyes stake in Union Bank of India’s mutual fund biz

By PTI
21 October, 2016

Japanese financial services major Dai-ichi Life Insurance has evinced interest in buying some stake in Union KBC Asset Management and is in preliminary talks with the fund house’s current majority shareholder Union Bank of India.

Last month, Union Bank had completed acquisition of 49 per cent shareholding of Union KBC AMC and Union KBC Trustee Company from the Belgium-based KBC Participants Renta SA and its affiliates.

Post acquisition, the Union KBC Asset Management Company and Union KBC Trustee Company have become wholly owned subsidiaries of the bank.

“The talks are currently under way for a potential deal,” a source told PTI.

While Dai-ichi Life Insurance refused to comment on the issue, repeated attempts to reach out to Union Bank did not elicit response.

Union Bank already has a life insurance joint venture with Dai-ichi Life and Bank of India.

“Dai-ichi Life stands to be a strong contender due to its global expertise in providing financial services and also, the bank already has a life insurance JV with the company,” the source said.

Union KBC AMC asset under management stood at around Rs 4,000 crore as on June 30, 2016.

Prior to Union Bank’s acquisition of stake in Union KBC AMC, the bank was holding 51 per cent in the mutual fund JV and the remaining 49 per cent was with the KBC Asset Management NV through its 100 per cent subsidiary KBC Participations Renta.

Last October, Union Bank had said it would be buying out the 49 per cent stake of KBC Asset Management in Union KBC Asset Management Company.

Like this report? Sign up for our daily newsletter to get our top reports.


Leave Your Comment
Union Bank to buy Belgian partner KBC in asset management JV

Union Bank to buy Belgian partner KBC in asset management JV

PTI 2 years ago
State-run Union Bank of India today said it is buying 49 per cent stake of KBC Asset Management in Union KBC Asset Management, the joint...
TPG Growth sets up healthcare platform; Dai-ichi to invest in Union Mutual Fund

TPG Growth sets up healthcare platform; Dai-ichi to invest in Union Mutual Fund

Keshav Sunkara 2 weeks ago
TPG Growth, the mid-market and growth-equity investment platform of alternative investments giant TPG Capital, has established a healthcare-specific platform. A Mint report, quoting two people...
Japan’s Dai-ichi Life to raise stake in insurance JV for $80 mn

Japan’s Dai-ichi Life to raise stake in insurance JV for $80 mn

TEAM VCC 1 year ago
Japan’s Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company Ltd said on Tuesday it has agreed to buy an additional 18% stake in its Indian insurance joint venture for...
No Comments

Japan’s Dai-ichi eyes stake in Union Bank of India’s mutual fund biz

Powered by WordPress.com VIP