Theramyt Novobiologics raises $4.4M from Aarin, Accel and IDG
Karnataka-based bio-pharma company Theramyt Novobiologics Pvt Ltd, which develops biosimilars and new biological entities (NBEs), has raised Rs 27.5 crore from venture capital firms Aarin Capital, Accel Partners, IDG Ventures and Karnataka state government-backed KITVEN.
The company, which focuses on the model to take biological products from lab to market, is looking to focus on segments such as oncology, rheumatoid, arthritis, metabolic disorders and cardiovascular diseases.
"Biotech healthcare needs collaborative research and development and smart application of science to control the costs of healthcare and meet the therapy requirements of a wider audience and disease type," Sohang Chatterjee, chief executive at Theramyt, said in a release.
According to Kavitha Rodrigues, director and COO of Theramyt, the company would be targeting both Indian and international markets.
“With these associations, we look to leverage global expertise, M&A experience and support for operational excellence, which will position Theramyt as a key biotech healthcare player—not just in India but also in the international markets,” she said.
This is the second venture of scientists-turned-entrepreneurs Chatterjee and Rodrigues. They had earlier started biotechnology company Inbiopro Solutions which developed and manufactured biosimilars recombinant proteins and vaccines. The company which was founded in 2007 was acquired by Strides Arcolabs promoted Agila Specialties for $14.22 million in 2010.
Inbiopro had raised over $1.2 million from Accel in various rounds of funding.
Theramyt raising capital is one of the many deals in the life sciences and biotech segment which has seen several small and medium players raising Series A and B rounds recently. The recent deals include Strand Life Sciences raising $10 million from Burrill Venture and Richcore Lifesciences raising $5.4 million from Fidelity Growth.
(Edited by Joby Puthuparampil Johnson)
Theramyt Novobiologics Pvt. Ltd. is a drug designing and biotechnology solution firm. It offers solutions for disease areas, such as oncology, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes and metabolic disorders. The company was founded in 2013 and is based in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Aarin Capital Fund I is a $100 million fund managed by Aarin Capital Partners. It provides capital to mid stage start-up companies operating in India and outside India. The firm seeks to invest in life sciences, technology and internet sectors. It typically invests between $3 million - $ 10 million in its portfolio companies.
- After-school learning courses listing startup KleverKid raises funding from Aarin...
- Startup valuations not crazy: TV Mohandas Pai, Infosys veteran & Aarin Cap’s co...
- TV Mohandas Pai & Ranjan Pai's Aarin Cap to up exposure to third party funds to $200M
- HomeLane.com raises $4.5M in Series A funding from Sequoia, Aarin & others
- Theramyt Novobiologics investing $10M by 2015 to develop IP platform
Accel India Management Co. Pvt. Ltd. is a venture capital firm with $329 million asset under management. It provides seed and early stage capital to companies operating in India. The firm seeks to invest in infrastructure, technology, internet and consumer services, mobile, software and cloud-enabled services, media, life sciences and consumer products sectors. The company was founded in 2008 and is based in Bangalore, Karnataka with additional offices in Silicon Valley, New York and London.
- Collectabillia parent raises $7.5M in Series B round from Accel Partners
- Mobile-only local services marketplace UrbanClap raises $10M from Accel & SAIF Pa...
- Startup accelerator Kyron's parent raises $9M from Accel, others
- Mobile marketing & consumer rewards platform Crown-it secures $5.5M from Accel, H...
- Ed-tech startup Vedantu raises $5M in Series A round from Accel, Tiger Global
- Online insurance broker Coverfox raises $12M from existing investors Accel & SAIF