Former Omidyar Network head Jayant Sinha gets elected from Hazaribagh
Former Omidyar Network India head Jayant Sinha has defeated three-time Congress MLA Saurabh Narain Singh by a margin of 1,59,000 votes from Hazaribagh constituency in Jharkhand.
Sinha, also the son of senior BJP leader and former finance minister Yashwant Sinha, is the first private equity veteran to contest in Indian elections.
Hazaribagh was Yashwant Sinha's constituency which he vacated this time in favour of his elder son (Yashwant Sinha's younger son is Sumant Sinha, former CFO of Aditya Birla Group and CEO of Suzlon Energy).
Jayant is likely to get a role in the Modi government since senior Sinha has not contested this time and he is said to be a contender for the Planning Commission deputy chairman's post.
Jayant graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, and has worked with consulting firm McKinsey and Co before joining the Omidyar Network, an investment firm established by eBay co-founder Pierre Omidyar.
Sinha's wife Punita was a fund manager with Blackstone.
(Edited by Joby Puthuparampil Johnson)
Omidyar Network India Advisors Pvt. Ltd. is a venture capital firm. It provides early stage capital to companies operating in Asia, Africa, United States, Latin America and Europe. The firm seeks to invest in profit and non-profit organizations. It seeks to invest in microfinance, small and medium sized enterprises, emerging market ventures and property rights. The firm also provides grand’s to companies. The firm seeks to invest more than $1 million in its portfolio companies as initial investment. The company was founded by Pierre Omidyar and wife Pam in 2004 and is based in Mumbai, Mahrashtra with additional office at California, United States of America.
- Home services marketplace Zimmber raises around $2M from IDG, Omidyar, Sherpalo &...
- RailYatri raises pre-Series A round of funding from Helion, Omidyar & others
- Omidyar Network ropes in Roopa Kudva from CRISIL as partner & MD for India
- Pre-school chain Tree House to sell land, building at Vadodara for $8.5M
- Location-based SEO enabler NowFloats raises Series A funding led by Omidyar Network
- NewsHunt owner raises $18M from Sequoia, Matrix, Omidyar