TPG & StanChart PE-backed Greenko buys 3 hydro projects worth 15 MW
Greenko Group plc, one of India’s largest independent power producers in renewable energy space, has acquired three hydropower projects in Himachal Pradesh (totalling 15 MW) for an undisclosed amount. The AIM-listed firm, backed by TPG Capital and Standard Chartered Private Equity, has said that the total value of these projects (including project finance debt) is $24 million or Rs 132 crore.
The deal brings Greenko’s total power-generating portfolio to over 275 MW. The firm is targeting 1,000 MW in operational assets by 2015.
The current transaction follows Greenko’s acquisition of a 32 MW cluster of operating hydro projects in Himachal Pradesh in April this year. During that transaction, Greenko committed to acquire more projects for another 15 MW, subject to certain conditions (which have now been fulfilled).
Greenko acquired the 32 MW Himachal Pradesh cluster, along with 24 MW ‘under development’ project in Karnataka, for a total of $54 million.
In the 15 MW projects acquired in the current deal, the power produced is sold under long-term power purchase agreements (PPA) to the local state electricity board. The average plant load factor (PLF) for the combined asset is expected to be in excess of 60 per cent and the average PPA price is Rs 2.95/kWh.
“While Greenko anticipates growing its hydro portfolio primarily through organic development, it will continue to evaluate acquisition opportunities on a case-by-case basis,” said a company statement, adding that it would look at projects under construction or at an advanced developmental stage.
“Greenko has generated strong returns from its hydro assets. These are some of the most attractive and sustainable assets for an Indian energy market that is characterised by high demand and constrained base load fuel supply,” said Anil Chalamalasetty, CEO and MD of Greenko.
Greenko has 151 MW operational small hydro assets in India, a further 189 MW currently under construction and 182 MW under active development.
The company reported a fall in revenues in FY12 to $47.1 million from $56.7 million in the previous fiscal, mainly due to falling value of rupee. While EBITDA improved 9 per cent, profit after tax remained stable at $14.6 million.
Greenko Group’s Mauritius Unit had raised $70 million from Standard Chartered Plc in a structured deal in December 2011. Earlier, it had also raised $50 million from GE Energy Financial Services for its wind energy business.
Other shareholders in Greenko include early-backer Aloe Environment Fund (11.2 per cent), TPG Growth (8.1 per cent), Impax Asset Management (5.2 per cent) and Capital Group (7.3 per cent).
(Edited by Sanghamitra Mandal)
The intriguing journey of startup funding from pre-seed and seed capital, incubators, accelerators and angel i
Greenko Group is an owner and operator of clean energy projects in India with a 1.0-gigawatt operating capacity. It is into the businesses of hydropower, wind power, biomass power and natural gas. The firm also generates and sells electricity. The company was founded in 2006 and is based in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Greenko to sell stake in Indian assets to GIC for $255M
- Greenko raises $125M from US-based EIG Global Energy Partners
- Lanco Infratech selling three hydro power assets with capacity of 80 MW to Greenko
- TPG Growth cuts stake in clean energy producer Greenko Group
- Greenko commissions first phase of wind farm in Andhra Pradesh
- Greenko Group unit raising $150M from GIC Singapore
TPG Capital Inc. (formerly Texas Pacific Group) is a private equity firm with $70.2 billion assets under management. It provides seed, early, growth stage and buyout capital to companies operating globally. The firm seeks to invest in real estate, pharma, energy, health care, apparel, retail and financial service sectors. The company was founded in 1992 and is based in Austin, United States of America with additional offices in China, Australia, Russia, Singapore United Kingdom, Japan and India.
- Janalakshmi Financial raises $150M from TPG and others
- Spencer Stuart's Anjali Bansal to join TPG; former BCCL CEO Ravi Dhariwal becomes...
- Apax Partners buys 20.37% stake in Shriram City Union Finance; TPG Capital exits
- Ice cream retailer Hokey Pokey raises additional funding
- Mahadevan Narayanamoni quits Grant Thornton to join TPG as senior advisor
- TPG invests $146M in Manipal Health for a significant minority stake
Standard Chartered Private Equity Advisory India Pvt. Ltd. is a private equity and venture capital arm of Standard Chartered Bank PLC. It provides growth, management buyouts and mezzanine capital to companies operating in Greater China, African, India, Korea and South East Asia. The firm seeks to invest in media, food and beverages, manufacturing, infrastructure, energy, information technology, hotels and resorts, construction, technology, financial and Pharmaceutical sectors. It seeks to invest typically between $10 million and $100 million in its portfolio companies. The company is based in Singapore with additional offices at India, China, Korea and South East Asia.
- Tata Realty, StanChart JV seals big-ticket land deal with M3M India
- Exclusive: Tata Realty-StanChart PE JV in talks to buy M3M asset
- Exclusive: StanChart PE bullish on platform deals in real estate
- StanChart PE buys 9.7% more in Prime Focus from Reliance
- StanChart PE, ADB & IFC commit $140M to Shapoorji Pallonji's affordable housing JV
- StanChart CEO for EMEA & Americas Viswanathan Shankar resigns, to float PE firm