SeQuent to own majority stake in a JV with Shasun Pharma for veterinary products
OrbiMed-backed Shasun Pharmaceuticals Ltd and SeQuent Scientific Ltd have signed a letter of intent (LOI) to form a joint venture company (JV) to develop, manufacture and sell veterinary products which will include Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) and formulations in the global market.
SeQuent will own 73 per cent of the JVC while Shasun will own the remaining 27 per cent, as per a stock exchange disclosure on Monday. Both Shasun and SeQuent are publicly listed companies.
“The combination with Shasun will deliver synergies and technical arbitrage enabling the JVC to emerge as a global provider of animal health solutions,” Gautam Kumar Das, joint managing director of SeQuent, said.
The creation of the animal health company, which is subject to the requisite corporate and statutory approvals, is expected to be complete by Q1 2014, the release said. According to the LOI, both the companies will contribute in the JV by way of transfer of identified assets, contracts and licences. The firms did not disclose details of the existing assets which would be transferred as part of the venture.
“We share SeQuent’s passion for developing animal healthcare products and are confident that together we are well positioned to cater to the needs of the global market in the growing animal healthcare sector,” S Hariharan, CFO of Shasun, said.
OrbiMed is the second investor in Shasun. It invested around $10.23 million in the company in 2012. The company got its first investment of $4.90 million from GMO LLC in 2003. In 2006, Shasun acquired UK-based Rhodia Pharma Solutions for around $35 million.
(Edited by Joby Puthuparampil Johnson)
Shasun Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (formerly known as Shasun Chemicals and Drugs Ltd.) is engaged in the manufacturing of pharmaceutical products. It offers pharmaceutical ingredients, intermediates and enteric coating excipients. The firm also offers ibuprofen sodium, ranitidine and nizatidine. It also manufactures gabapentin, sevelamer, carisoprodol, cycloserine, isradipine and hypromellose phthalate. The company was founded in 1976 and is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Sun Pharma share price crashes on Ranbaxy integration cost, sales alert
- Bain Capital-backed Emcure to buy half a dozen products from Sun Pharma-Ranbaxy
- Dilip Shanghvi's son Aalok to head emerging mkts unit after Sun Pharma buys Ranbaxy
- Shasun exiting Ascent Capital-backed veterinary products JV with SeQuent for $12M
- Rewind 2014: Top M&As
- Sun Pharma's Sudhir Valia hikes stake in Fortune Financial, makes open offer for more
Sequent Scientific Ltd. (formerly PI Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Ltd.) is engaged in manufacturing and exporting human and veterinary formulations that belong to anthelmintic and anti-parasitic segment. It offers formulations in various finished dosage forms such as bolus, oral liquids, granules, tablets, injectable, oral powder and external application liquids. The firm is also involved in the contract manufacturing of formulations and veterinary active pharmaceutical ingredients and intermediaries. The company was incorporated in 1985 and is based in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Ascent Capital to swap stake in Alivira Animal Health with listed firm SeQuent Sc...
- SeQuent Scientific raises $8.4M from value investor Mankekars
- Ascent-backed Alivira to buy 60% stake in Turkish veterinary products firm Provet
- SeQuent Scientific sells specialty chemicals business to Songwon for $20M
- SeQuent Scientific gets board approval to raise up to $67M
- SeQuent Scientific scouting for acquisitions